Pages

Saturday, November 5, 2011

New markers: just as fun today as when I was 7.


Today has been another one of those "I don't know what I would do if I was not artistic" kind of days. I got new Prismacolor markers on Thursday (I had a coupon!) and have not really had a chance to try them out until today. Remember when you were little and you got a new box of 64 crayons? The kind that had the crayon sharpener in the back? Maybe I am a freak, but a new box of crayons was something that would have me amped for at least a week. That feeling has never worn off with me and new art supplies. Hopefully this is the case for many other creative people out there, because too many think that childhood magic in fact disappears after childhood. Not true. 

What I have discovered about markers: if you make a mistake, it is pretty tricky to make it go away. I haven't really worked with markers all that much and so far am really liking the control. These have alcohol ink, so they smell like vodka. Makes me feel right at home (and want a martini). I'm playing with a new idea of adding simple phrases to mixed media fashion illustration-type drawings. When things get crazy, just breathe. It's all you have to do. Remember that movie Ever After? Where Drew Barrymore plays a modern-day (kind of) Cinderella? Before she goes to the party, she stops walking and says to herself, "Just breathe." It's a more poetic way of saying "Check yourself before you wreck yourself."

Again... I wish that every day could be Saturday. AND, today is even an extra long Saturday due to turning the clocks back, which is awesome. What's not awesome: knowing it's going to be dark at 6:00 from now until May. Boooo.

No comments:

Post a Comment