Pages

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Days 9 and 10 - 40 Works In 40 Days Project



Have I mentioned how much I have learned from doing this project? So today was day 11, but I fell behind earlier this week and wanted to post day 8 by itself (it meant a lot to me). Days 9 and 10 just so happen to go together, so they are being posted now. Doing this has made me want to experiment with different techniques and ideas, something I probably wouldn't normally do. Especially not on a daily basis. 

I am an admitted cat lady, so on day 9 I felt like I wanted to make a kind of boho kitty. It's hard for me sometimes to find a stopping point when it comes to art; I just want to keep adding and adding and adding. This got me in hot water many-a-times in college, because many of my professors would berate me for having work that was too "busy." While I could have easily been adding stuff to boho kitty, I decided to stop. And you know what? I like it! So the next day (day 10... I really need to be better about posting on the actual day), I took that idea further and stopped waaaaaaaaaay before I normally would, just to see what would happen. And what happened? I liked it!

This experimentation is so important to me. It's something that maybe every artist should do. That's why I believe art journals are so important; just try stuff out. What's the worst that could happen? You don't like something, and no one will ever see or know? From personal experience, I know that I ended up being so happy with some of my art journal pages that I wished they had been done on canvas... and they were ALL created almost subconsciously, with ZERO worry about the end product. 

For the one millionth time, today has been one of those days where I am grateful beyond words to be a creatively driven person.

No comments:

Post a Comment